One of the major benefits Android devices provide is that they are GPS capable. Ironically the constellation of GPS satellites was put in place by the military to aid in global navigation. The coordinate system used by Military personnel is called the Military Grid Reference System (MGRS) while similar to the Universal Transverse Mercator (UTM) it is a bit different. MGRS is used for everything from general navigation to calling in artillery and mortar fire, and other related map work. We wanted to find a few apps that were MGRS compatible. Here are three. Please share your experiences with these or any others you might have come across in the comments section.
Offline topo and road maps for all of your outdoor adventures.
Off-trail, road-tripping, or wandering abroad? Use Gaia GPS to navigate anywhere you aren’t connected.
The “LITE” app includes ads and restricts downloads to 50 tiles at a time – download Gaia GPS pro to cache up to 10,000 tiles per download and remove the ads.
Gaia lets you:
- Download maps for times when you don’t have an internet connection.
- View topographic and road maps. Use MyTopo maps in the US/Canada, and CloudMade topo and road maps all over the world.
- Record tracks and mark waypoints.
- Use the compass to navigate.
- Get distance/bearing/ETA guidance.
- Choose from UTM/MGRS/DMS/DDM or Decimal coordinates.
- Display metric or imperial units.
MyMGRS is a GPS utility to get your location in MGRS, UTM and lat/lon.
MyMGRS is a GPS utility to get your location in MGRS (Military grid reference system), UTM (Universal Transverse Mercator) and latitude/longitude. It allows you to touch the screen and get that location and the range/azimuth to that point from your current location.
Use offline topo maps and GPS on hike trails without cell service! The GPS in your Android phone can get its position from GPS satellites, and you don’t have to rely on your data plan to get maps. Have more fun and safe GPS adventures in the backcountry.
Preload FREE offline topo maps, aerial photos, and road maps on your storage card, so they are ready when you need them for your GPS navigation.
Add custom GPS waypoints in longitude and latitude, UTM or MGRS grid reference. Import GPS waypoints from GPX files.
Use GPS for hunting a waypoint or geocache, for recording tracks and GPS waypoints on your trip, all the while tracking your quest on topographic maps.
- About topo (topographic) maps: Topo maps show terrain through color and contours, and are useful for navigation offroad. Topo maps and GPS can be used for hiking, hunting, kayaking, snowshoeing, & backpacker trails.
- The app has many built in map sources and allows you to create your own maps with Mobile Atlas Creator. Built in sources include:
- OpenStreetMaps and NASA landsat data worldwide.
- MyTopo.com topo maps of US and Canada.
- OpenCycleMaps showing terrain worldwide.
- USGS Color Aerial photography.
- UK Ordinance Survey Explorer Maps.
- Topographic Maps of Spain and Italy.
- Outdoor maps of Germany and Austria
- Topo maps of New Zealand
- Here are some of the outdoor GPS activities BackCountry Navigator has been used for:
- Hiking both on hiking trails and off trail.
- Hunting trips for hunting wild game in rugged areas.
- Recon for the hunt or a live hunting trip.
- Search and Rescue (SAR).
- Kayak and canoe trips on inland lakes and streams or marine, coastal waters.
- Backpacker trips: using topo maps of wilderness areas and national forests to navigate on trails with the GPS.
- Snow adventures including snowmobiling, skiing (alpine or cross country) and snowshoeing.
Find your own ways to have fun in the outdoors. Be a maverick by venturing into new territory beyond cell service boundaries with your GPS. Become a pro at navigation with GPS.
16 Day Demo
- Tech Predictions for 2012 | No Limits, Only Plateaus on Security Technical Information Guide for Android released.
- Security Technical Information Guide for Android released. | Milidroid on Dell’s Android Security Platform Approved by DISA
- Podcasts: Drone Archer Weapons–AeroVironment Talks About The Switchblade | Feral Jundi on Android’s Future is so Bright, Soldiers Gotta Wear HMD’s
- Milidroid on Apps for Emergency Preparedness.
- Milidroid on Apps for Emergency Preparedness.
Tags3g 4G a4a Air Force android armor android vs iphone Appdady Technologies Inc. apps for the army BTS Cases DARPA Dell Dell Mobile Security for Android Dell Streak extended battery Good for Government Good Technologies GPS harris Head Mounted Display Helmet Mounted Display HMD MGRS MIL-STD-810 Military Academy motorola Navigation nett warrior Nighthawk 3g Powerskin Ruggedized shooting sniper SOCOM Special Operation Command Tablets TacticalNav Tactical NAV TACTSA TIGR US Army Marketplace USMC Verizon vuzix xpal